As a dental professional, you need to make sure that your dental website reflects all of your experience and knowledge as a dentist as well as showcase the dental services you provide. All of this shows potential patients who are looking for a dentist why you are the best to serve their needs, helping them to improve their dental health and smile. Videos are an essential component of websites that offer a multitude of benefits for your website, drawing in new clients, and ultimately growing and improving your business. (see our educational videos)
The inclusion of video on your website actually improves your SEO. SEO, or search engine optimization, is the best practice that makes your website stand out to Google and other search engines. The higher your website ranks, the more likely new visitors will click to view your website. First and foremost, Google prioritizes websites with video results. Part of this is due to a change in the algorithm which prefers quality content to keyword optimization. Most often, videos provide information that is useful to potential visitors, which is a huge bonus when it comes to creating “quality” content. This change in algorithm reflects a change in the way that people use the internet and the rise of video as the preferred method of gathering information. Search engine results with video have a 41 percent higher click-through rate, primarily because of the rich video snippets that appear next to search results.
Videos also provide you with a channel to explain and demonstrate procedures that might be confusing to patients. This makes it easier for them to understand a procedure that might otherwise frighten them away. According to a study from Colgate, somewhere between 9-15 percent of Americans avoid the dentist because of anxiety about treatment. This works out to up to 40 million people who are not getting the dental care they need because they don’t understand what a procedure entails. Dental technology and pain management techniques have improved so much over recent years, as a health care provider, isn’t it your duty to help patients understand that sitting in your chair is not the painful experience it was 25 years ago?
A video can show a potential patient how innovative and technologically advanced your office is. Patients can see how simple and pain-free common procedures have become. Additionally, you can showcase new technology such as teeth whitening procedures, 3D scanning, and digital x-rays so that patients can see and understand your dedication to staying as up to date as possible with dental best practice and equipment.
Increase patient bookings
Ultimately, all of this effort to build a website that is useful and informative to patients while also following SEO best practice is to bring in new clients. Having a video on your website will boost your search engine rankings. The higher your ranking, the more likely a potential patient is to click on your site. Once the patient is on your site, your content, including video and text, has to be interesting, informative, and compelling to encourage that potential client to respond to your “call to action”. The call to action on a website is the subtle, and not so subtle, request for the visitor to contact you or your practice to schedule an appointment. If people are more likely to watch videos than read content then use videos to show them why you are the best dentist for them. (Find out how to increase your patient bookings with our marketing tips)
Top tips for including videos
There are a few best practice guidelines to keep in mind when making and uploading videos. Not all videos are created equal, and if done poorly, they can hurt your search engine rankings and your business.
- Keep your video short. Studies show that after about four minutes, viewers lose interest. Make sure that your videos are short, informative, and to the point.
- Focus on a single message. If you have less than four minutes to tell your story, make sure to focus on one message that you want your viewer to remember.
- Include Rich-video snippets. Rich-video snippets are the thumbnail still from the videos that appear alongside the description included on the content page. This image can be tagged to further appeal to the search engine bots.
- Include transcription. Video parsing technology improves all the time, but even Google needs a hand to know what information is included in your videos. The transcribed text give the “spiders” information to crawl through while checking your site for relevance to a query.
- Make the video “click to play”. When videos are set to launch automatically with your homepage, this can slow down your loading time, which can turn people away from your website. If your website takes more than 10 seconds to load, it is highly likely that a potential patient will click away before they even get to your information.
Common video mistakes
- Don’t make a video just to make a video. Make sure your content is interesting and useful to potential patients. Make sure it gives viewers useful information about you, your practice, or a specific service that you provide.
- Don’t forget your call to action. If you include an informative an interesting video about your quick in-office teeth whitening procedure, make sure to encourage the viewer to contact your office to make an appointment. If possible have book online buttons available.
- Don’t forget to use SEO best practice on the video. In your rich-video snippet, link location keywords and hot tags like “demonstration”, “explanation”, or “what is”.
- Don’t wait until the end of your video to “sell” your service. You should be suggesting that your service or practice is the best available in the local area and that potential patients should be contacting you NOW from the beginning. By all means, reinforce that message at the end, but don’t risk losing your opportunity to call a website visitor to action if they have a short attention span.
Videos will certainly help your practice to grow. First, they improve your search engine rankings. Second, they educate and inform potential patients. Videos also demonstrate your expertise and the quality of your office and service. Follow these best practice tips to create and include videos on your website to make your practice stand out as the best in your area. This will help you to attract and retain new patients, making your practice even more successful.